29 December 2010

my list.

A bucket list sounds like a good concept.
A list of all the wonderful things in this world that you want to do....someday.
Before it's too late.
But what if you don't have the time to get to your list (often times our exit from this earth is sudden). OR, what if you get sick and all those things that you thought would be fun to do just aren't possible.
The reality of getting sick is it's expensive, you feel the need to sort out "details" for those that you will be leaving behind, and you feel sick.
The only thing left to do is spend time with those people you love.
We need LIFE lists. Lists that we will do now.
I wrote myself a list... It's my 40 by 40 list.
Forty things I will strive to achieve before turning Forty.
My List:
1. Get Published.
2. Start a book club.
3. See Mt. Rushmore.
4. Plant 100 tulip bulbs in my yard. I can’t wait to see those all pop up one spring morning!
5. Get to my goal weight. (135)
6. Go on a cruise.
7. Take a vacation with just my sisters.
8. RUN a 10K (without pit stops).
9. A weekend away with each child by themselves, NO DISTRACTIONS!
10. Visit New Orleans.
11. Birthday cards to everyone in my family, ON TIME!!
12. Give the perfect handmade Christmas gifts. (Rrrrrrr…so many good intentions that have flopped!)
13. Go on a whale watching tour. (Hopefully, Alaskan)
14. Spend an entire week in complete silence.
15. Put on Ice-Skates again. (A long time ago this was my thing, I’m afraid I can’t do it anymore.)
16. Enter something I’ve made in the State Fair.
17. New Zealand. (Maybe to stay) (If I can convince my ENTIRE family that we’re all moving.)
18. Learn to play guitar. (I guess guitar hero doesn’t count)
19. Sing Karaoke.
20. Have a formal Portrait taken. (The one that they’ll hang at my memorial service when I’m old and wrinkled)
21. Interview my Grandfather.
22. Interview my Grandmother.
23. Drive a paid off vehicle for a year.
24. Go on a Mission Trip.
25. Stay at one of the historic hotels on Mackinac Island.
26. Learn (or just try and then sit inside and watch other people) to (snow) ski.
27. Introduce a non-believer to my Lord and Savior.
28. See Wicked.
29. Take some management classes.
30. Have a bike with a basket on the front. (Had one once and I miss it.)
31. Get LASIK eye surgery.
32. Actually make one of the many genius recipes that I “think” I have in my head.
33. Pay off my credit cards!!!!
34. Go off trail with a map and a compass in the forest, maintains, or somewhere untamed!
35. Have a closet full of clothes that I actually wear.
36. Learn a second language.
37. Take adult dance classes.
38. Someday work for something or someone that makes my heart soar….could be on my 50 by 50 list…or my retirement must do list…
39. Help someone fulfill a life dream.
40. Organize (and print) my family photos.

As many of you know, I've already gotten to check off quite a few of these. I know some things sound kind of dumb and (maybe) impossible, but this is my list...and sometimes I achieve "dumb and impossible"!

So get out and write yourself a list. It can be a 40 by 40, 11 in 2011, or anything else you can think of...just as long as you're living it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I'm going to have to put some thought into it. But as you said...before you know it, life has already moved on without you when you weren't looking because you're too busy with your nose in the weeds of day-to-day living. Having goals is great.

    And finally, if you haven't done #s 21 & 22 on your list - DO IT. Now. Or you'll always wish you did.

    Thanks for sharing your rays of wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete